Some complicate investing in gold, but in reality it is a relatively simple process. The following guideline is the result of our experience helping thousands of investors make their initial gold investment. If you have questions at any point along the way, we welcome your telephone call. We think you will find our low-key, no-hassle approach conducive to your making good decisions about gold and silver ownership.
1. Develop a good sense of the role you would like gold to play in your overall portfolio. For beginners, our Q&A section, What you need to know before you buy your first ounce of gold, provides a quick and helpful introduction to gold ownership. This page is well worth your time. It will help you avoid some of the costly mistakes often made by first-time investors.
If you would like to gain a more comprehensive introduction to buying gold coins and bullion, we offer the widely-read book, The ABCs of Gold Investing: How to Protect and Build Your Wealth With Gold. This well-received ownership guideline is also available online through Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and at most bookstores.
2. Decide how much of your overall portfolio should be committed to gold and silver coins and bullion. Investopedia, the well-known investor website, says: "An investor who fears that the U.S.' trillions of dollars in debt and penchant for economic bubbles* point to a long-term downward trend for stocks and the U.S. dollar may devote 25% or more of his or her portfolio to metals and mining**. However, most traditional investors with more optimistic outlooks keep their exposure to this sector at less than 10%." Similarly, we suggest a diversification between 10% and 30% depending upon your level of concern about the economy.
3. Match your portfolio choices to your objectives. Our two most popular portfolio inclusions at this time are contemporary gold bullion coins and historical gold coins (the low-premium, bullion-like variety that track the gold price). In fact USAGOLD's overall volume is split roughly 50%-50% between the two groupings. Each plays a particular role in the portfolio. The reading material suggested in step one offers details in this regard, or we invite you to contact our trading desk to be referred to one of our experienced consultants for details.
4. Choose the right gold firm. You can probably imagine the horror stories we have heard over the years. It is surprising though how so many of these bad experiences could have been avoided with a simple background check at Better Business Bureau reviews or by spending a little time with the right reading material like the suggestions made above.
Check not only its rating but the number of complaints lodged against a gold dealer and how those complaints were handled. A consistent record of complaints can be a warning sign even if the company has managed to keep an A+ rating.
Ultimately, your choice of a gold firm can mean the difference between success and failure as a gold owner.
(Please see Where to buy gold – A quick guideline for choosing the right gold company.)
(Note: USAGOLD has been awarded the Better Business Bureau's Gold Star Certificate, its highest accolade. In addition, the firm has been rated A+ by the BBB with zero consumer complaints. The firm has been accredited since 1991.)
1. Prepare a list of questions you would like to have answered by one of the firm's expert gold ownership consultants.
2. Contact our Order Desk for current pricing and to have your questions answered.
3. Lock-in your order over the phone. It will be followed by an e-mail confirmation invoice for your records.
4. A second option is to visit our Online Order Desk where you can choose from a full assortment of investment items including modern gold and silver bullion coins and bullion bars, historic fractional gold coins and historic U.S. gold coins. At our Online Order Desk, you can order confidently anytime day or night and on weekends.
5. Remit payment by wire or personal check.
6. Sit back and relax while we fulfill your order. In our nearly 45 years as a gold firm assisting thousands of clients, we have never failed to honor an agreed-upon price or to deliver metal as ordered in a timely manner.