Breaking down America’s imports and exports by product – HowMuch
Courtesy of HowMuch.net • • • Click to enlarge
“In 2020, the United States imported $11.1 trillion worth of goods and services while exporting $8.5 trillion,” says HowMuch.net. “Breaking this down into the various product types draws a picture of the American economy. Looking at the value of the different categories, we get a sense of what products the U.S. relies heavily on other countries for, and which they produce in excess.
- America exports $2.84 trillion in services, nearly twice the $1.85 trillion it imports.
- Imports of goods stood at $9.23 trillion in 2020, nearly twice the $5.67 trillion it exports.
- The difference between imports and exports of consumer goods, except food and automotive is $1.85 trillion, the largest imbalance favoring imports.
- On the flip side, the gap between imports and exports in the other business services category came in at $570 billion favoring exports.
- Total exports dropped by $1.55 trillion and imports by $1.41 trillion in 2020 compared to 2019.”